Text about Chilcot School, Tiverton
Chilcot School, Tiverton
A Tiverton Civic Society plaque on the wall of the building reads:
Wool manufacturer in London, nephew of Peter Blundell (founder of Blundells School) and brother-in-law of George Slee
Founded this school for the teaching of reading and writing
This listed building was built in 1611, survived the fire of 1612, and was in use as a school until 1906.
It was then converted into a gymnasium, and has subsequently been used as a military store, pottery studio, museum and meeting room.